HomeAboutPopular PostsE-books Free Printables

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Importance of Telling Megan's Story

At the last session of our bi-monthly grief group, we were asked to write a journal entry about why it is important for us to continue telling Megan's story to others we come into contact with for the rest of our lives. At first, I had trouble writing because I was thinking of myself and how hard it is to explain to others who didn't know Megan or the magnitude of care she required. Where do I start? How do I explain? I have so many pieces all jumbled up in my head that I get so paralyzed about what to say.

In the end, as I listened to the other people talk about why they thought it was important to tell their stories, these things popped into my head.
  • I want others to see that special needs children are real people with real feelings, wants, needs, and desires just like the rest of us.
  • I want others to see that special needs children are a valuable gift to their parents just as any healthy child is. They are fragile treasures that are entrusted to us.
  • Yes, special needs children require extra care. But, when you are tuned into their every sound, grin or grimace, and the expressions on their faces, you realize how much they have to offer to people who take the time to get to know them.
  • I want others to know that it's NOT a big relief when they're gone. Special needs children aren't disposable people. It matters when they're gone. There's a HUGE void that is left.
  • I may not have the daily struggles of caring for Megan anymore. But, my world was centered around her needs all. day. long. And that world vanished before my eyes. I felt lost and confused about my life without her.
  • The journey to finding your next steps in life is a long process. You don't just automatically feel free to do everything you thought you wanted in life before your special needs child came into it. Life handed me something hard and scary. What if the next step I choose is hard and scary too?

3 comments:

Charity C said...

Very powerful Lori.  Definitely written from the heart with a mama's  heart.

Amy said...

I want others to see that special needs children are real people
with real feelings, wants, needs, and desires just like the rest of us.I want others to see that special needs children are a valuable gift
to their parents just as any healthy child is. They are fragile
treasures that are entrusted to us.

I wish everyone understood this, L. 
 

Auntbeesquilts said...

wow, Lori, you may not be a writer but said it well. I'm sure everyone in your family feels that void. You had such wonderful support from your parents and sisters, everyone! Megan was such a blessing to everyone that knew her. Praying God well continue to bless you and yours and that you will continue to be a blessing to others through this trial time in your life. Bernadette